Monday, June 11, 2012

Super Week: Commissioning

On Tuesday, May 16th, Joey reached one of his goals and commissioned as an Ensign in the US Navy.
His parents, brothers, grandparents, and a few cousins and aunts came from Virginia Beach and Missouri to join Joey and me for the special day.


First, all of the commissioning cadets sat together and each branch took their oath. I was surprised at how emotional I got during the Chaplain's invocation and the speeches from a representative of each branch. They talked about how brave and honorable the cadets were for joining the military, and I just felt so incredibly proud of my sweetheart.

Next the cadets broke off into their respective branches, where they were individually sworn in and saluted. Joey's mom and I got to pin on his new shoulder boards and give Joey his new officer cover, and his dad got to give him his first salute.


Like father, like son! It was so special to have Joey's dad with us as Joey continued a family tradition of service in the Navy. And how dapper and handsome does Joey look?! My friends love that I have my own Richard Gere (even though my officer is infinitely more attractive ;)


Gosh I'm so proud of him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...